WHO WE ARE
Mallarmé Music is a flexible collective of professional musicians based in Durham, North Carolina, whose mission is to enrich the lives of the community through outstanding chamber music performance.
The organization distinguishes itself in the community by its innovative educational programs, its commitment to creative collaboration with other organizations, its creation of significant new work, and its dedication to serve a diverse population.
For Mallarmé’s 25th anniversary season in 2008-09, Suzanne Rousso, violist and former orchestra administrator, took the helm as the new artistic director of the ensemble.
2023-24 Board of Directors and Staff
- Andrea Edith Moore, chair
- Tony Sprinkle, treasurer
- Juan Álamo
- Tom Butts
- Ruth Cox
- Michael Fisher
- LaToya Lain
- Anna Linvill
- Bo Newsome
- Pablo Vega
- Suzanne Rousso, Artistic Director
- Mickaella Guarascio, Operations Manager
- Jane Hamborsky, Bookkeeper
HOW WE BEGAN
Created in 1984 by musicians Jane Hawkins and Anna Ludwig Wilson, working with poet and arts administrator Margaret DeMott, the ensemble’s name comes from Stéphane Mallarmé, the 19th-century French poet and philosopher who believed that true art is created through a unity of music, dance, literature and the visual arts. In keeping with their namesake, Mallarmé performances are often interdisciplinary and have been praised by critics and audiences as innovative, eclectic and of the highest artistic quality.
MISSION and CORE VALUES
Mallarmé Music celebrates the collaborative spirit of chamber music to create inspirational performances and innovative educational programs. We build meaningful partnerships with musicians and artists of other disciplines, create new works and perform in diverse venues to audiences throughout the Triangle region of North Carolina.
Our Core Values
- Artistic Excellence: Striving for the highest level of artistic quality and innovation in all aspects of music production and performance.
- Collaboration: Fostering a spirit of collaboration and teamwork among artists and artistic partners to create a supportive and inspiring environment.
- Community: Hiring local artists of all musical genres to perform as part of the ensemble from the vast talent North Carolina has to offer.
- Integrity: Conducting all activities with honesty, transparency and ethical standards, treating all individuals with respect and fairness.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Celebrating and embracing the diversity of voices, cultures and experiences in music, promoting inclusivity in all aspects of the organization.
- Education and Outreach: Engaging in educational programs and community outreach initiatives to promote music appreciation, support emerging artists and foster a broader understanding of music.
- Audience Engagement: Cultivating meaningful connections with audiences by providing memorable and transformative musical experiences and actively seeking feedback and input from the audience.
- Advocacy: Being a strong advocate for the arts, supporting policies and initiatives that promote the growth, accessibility, and funding of music and actively participating in relevant industry organizations and forums.
WHERE WE’RE GOING
With some of the most gifted artists from North Carolina, Mallarmé Chamber Players perform programs that include rarely heard works from the traditional chamber music repertoire that celebrate the diversity in our community by featuring the music of African American, Asian, Latino and women composers.
Mallarmé has commissioned over 35 new works by American composers. They have created new contours in the landscape of chamber music through partnerships with musiciana and artists of different disciplines. Through their education programs they have developed a new model for community-based arts organizations.
Concerts are held at venues across Durham and the surrounding areas in a variety of venues from churches to music halls. With their commitment to collaboration and to the inclusion of young artists, BIPOC and LGBTQ musicians, Mallarmé continues to grow while reflecting the spirit of the community.
“Mallarmé Chamber Players is not just a collection of musicians performing an eclectic mix of music; they are a philosophy of music and life, an organization that teaches, mentors and is inclusive of all cultures within our community, and a place for like-minded professionals from all over the country to come and share their musical gifts.”